Friday, May 02, 2008

Notice to the reader

I started listening to the LibriVox readings of Huckleberry Finn on the way to work this morning. Great stuff. I remember loving this as a kid - quite a solitary kid - and desperately wanting to be a member of Tom Sawyer's gang. Reading it again now I think I still do.

But anyway, I was very struck by Mark Twain's opening:

NOTICE

PERSONS attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.

BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR,
Per G.G., Chief of Ordnance.


A typically Twainian (is that a word?) summation of the points I've been making recently about plot, bloody plot. Twain just builds character and moment and it's beautiful stuff.

No comments: